[PLUG] Resolved: Finding suitable printer -- HPLIP on Ubuntu

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Oct 25 18:40:05 UTC 2019

On 10/19/19 1:37 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 10/19/19 11:19 AM, King Beowulf wrote:
>
>> HP has excellent F/OSS Linux CUPS driver support via HPLIP, which is
>> either already installed in you distro or readily  available.
>
> Be aware that if you choose a really new model from HP, the support
> for all its features may not be in HPLIP yet.
>
> In my case I can print, but I still don't have the ability to scan.
> Probably not your issue, though.

I have some time today, so I tried getting this working.

hplip-3.19.8.run installed and prints just fine, but still no scanner.
But somehow I ran the process differently and got this error message:
     Failed to open device
'hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M148-149?ip=192.168.0.109
     Error during device I/O.

Using the HP Device Manager I got a more useful error indication. In the
Status tap I found:
      Scan job failed – Required plug-in not found Code 2003
      Please run hp-plugin to install the required plug-in

I ran hp-plugin. After agreeing to the terms the installation failed.

I found the solution at:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1813768

The problem is with apparmor. The solution is to install and run
apparmor utils:
     sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
     sudo aa-disable /usr/share/
and then run hp-plugin again.

This time the install completed, and I can now run xsane.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens