[PLUG] How we treat the homeless...

Jim Karlock jjkarlock at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:32:40 UTC 2019

Actually it is a very simple, two tiered, problem:

1. Cost of housing is ONLY in areas with severe restrictions on
building on unused land. In Oregon & Washington it is Urban Grown
Boundaries. They have doubled cost of rents/ housing. Simple
economics - they create a shortage of land, which drives up the
price. In Portland's low income are, Lents, a parcel recently sold
for ONE MILLION/ acra which is about $125,000 for a 5000 sf empty
lot. Portland adds at lease $50,000 to that for permission to build.
When you start with almost $200,000 in cost BEFORE building anything,
you cannot build affordable houses.

2. People who simply cannot afford rent, end up living with friends,
sharing an apartment, living in a camper or moving to another area.
There are many successful services for this group. They generally do
not end up in tests surrounded by needles.

3. Tent people are about 50-80% drug/alcohol addicts, some mentally
ill that probably should be in institutions, and criminals who no one
will rent to.

You may have noted an increase in people doing absolutely crazy
things described as a mental health crisis - mostly illegal drug use.

View Seattle is Dying on YouTube for one viewpoint on the problem.

thanks
JK