[PLUG] IP Tracking

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 03:09:36 UTC 2019

You make some good points, but also demonstrate the level to which google
is embedded in software development. In recommending ways to get
away from google's tracking, you mentioned compatibility with
Android, which renders all efforts to afford the problem meaningless.
Tracking
that is baked into the OS affects all apps running within that OS, so you
have to stop using android.

Also stop mentioning it.

Not that I'm the best example of this, writing from my gmail account.

Another example of OS-level integration is systemd. systemd defaults
to google's nameservers when no others are provided. It's a
fallback mechanism if standard DNS configuration fails, and is implemented
at compile time. Like you mentioned, it's more than just IP tracking, you
need to start rejecting entire chunks of your OS stack if you want
to actually get away from google's profile building.

It's pretty disgusting these days. Distros like Debian and Ubuntu working
behind the scenes to sell out the community. Even Mozilla links
up with all those API's, making a weak claim that their use for tracking is
totally different from everyone else's. They still send data to
google servers...

This has been a pretty long standing thread and I haven't read all the
> few questions for me.

Why is ip tracking itself such a concern?

I tend to focus on the EFF's surveillance self-defense recommendations of
apps and general internet use practices.

I don't see information regarding IP Tracking by EFF with the exception of
an article on Do Not Track Policy. https://www.eff.org/dnt-policy

I've used the uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere browser plugins for a few
years based on some reviews I read, but I honestly don't know exactly how
they work and who effective they are.

However, the rub is when you're trying to communicate with friends, family
and other orgs via digital medial.

As far as Google's services. I wouldn't say that I rely on them, but
they're convenient and work well for my needs.

I often use Duck Duck Go or log out of Google when I do Internet searches.
However, I consume a lot of content on Youtube.

General Internet VPN services are ubiquitous these days. Is this the best
solution for dealing w. ip tracking?

This might be an interesting PLUG Talk Topic.