[PLUG] STFU / RMS

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 05:58:08 UTC 2019

> I think it's rather hypocritical Bushnell complains about
> "abusive language, and toxic environments" while saying people should
> "STFU" and calling members of the Free Software community adolescent and
> childish.
> The quality of his article is something that belongs in the
> opinion section of a paper.

That's a reasonable opinion. Not one that I agree with because Bushnell was
referring to Richard Stallman specifically and not to people in general.

It was a criticism of Stallman's inability to focus on the important issues
and priorities of the MIT Media Lab and the FOSS movement. It wasn't a
directive as another PLUG list member used it.

This is precisely why I changed the subject to STFU / RMS.

As Bushnell stated he's clearly brilliant but also a tragic figure. Imagine
if Noam Chomsky or Stephen Hawking behaved this way.

I think his comments were also aimed at people like Linus Torvalds who has
recently publicly apologized for his abusive behaviour.