[PLUG] urxvt shell path display differences

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 24 17:14:32 UTC 2019

On both monitors (the Acer 1600x900 wide screen and the HP 1280x1024 square
screen) urxvt window size is set to 75x25 and the font size is 10x20.
However, the displays differ when text reaches the right side of the window.
The wide screen monitor wraps; e.g.,

[rshepard at salmo ~/data/grassdata/Oregons_Greatest_Wetlands/OGW_20150101.gdb
]$

The line wraps so the %PS1 display remains.

However, on the square monitor a long path to the cwd displays differently:

[rshepard at baetis /data/grassdata/LDQ-45123H5/clatsop/Bare_Earth]$ ls
be_45123h5/  be_45123h5.aux.xml  be_45123h5.ovr  info/
<d be_45123h5/

The last line is the result of the command 'cd be_45123h5/'. Instead of
wrapping the line is shifted to the left and not visible. That's why the
initial 'c' of the cd command can't be seen.

I've looked in both ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources and in both the lines
referencing 'wrap' are set to  true. I've also looked at a couple of
ArchLinux web pages that focus on ANSI escape codes and haven't recognized a
solution there.

What other resources might be available so I can get the long shell lines on
the HP monitor to wrap as they do on the wide screen Acer.

TIA,