[PLUG] USB 3.1 Gen 2

alan at clueserver.org alan at clueserver.org
Fri Sep 27 17:59:09 UTC 2019

> Hello Portland
>
> If I understand correctly, USB 3.1 Gen 2 refers to the protocol that
> supports 10 Gbps and the USB type C connector. (please correct me if I am
> mistaken)
>
> Is there an existing Linux distribution that supports this?
> If not, does anyone have a recommendation or tips for how to proceed with
> compiling one that does?
>
> Second question: If a linux box has a file system such as ext4 or btrfs,
> can you copy files from the linux box to an external USB hard drive that
> is
> formatted NTFS? Can you expect the full speed supported for the protocol?

The protocol would need to be supported by the motherboard and the kernel
used. I would assume that any kernel released in the last few years or so.

To check if the usb on the motherboard supports it, try:

    sudo lshw | grep -A10 -i usb

Look at the speed for the device. If it is 10000m, then it is a gen 2. If
it is 5000m, then it is gen 1.

As for the second question...

You can copy the files to NTFS. It will be at full speed. Some of the file
attributes might get dropped. (Capabilities mostly.) Depends what you need
preserved. If you need to archive with all the permission bits, use a tar
file.

Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.