[PLUG] USB 3.1 Gen 2

OR Linux Jobs oregonlinuxjobs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:44:54 UTC 2019

Thank you for all of these great replies.
This helped me a lot. I'm not done with reading these replies.
My summary of what I got so far from a few glances at your replies:

1) I'm not going to bother buying any equipment that is any faster than
what used to be called USB 3.0
i.e. now called USB 3.1 Gen 1. USB devices that are connected with a USB
type C port are doing that for the purpose of achieving a higher voltage
and current, and for the benefit of reversibility that is not available
with micro USB connectors and ports. If I am not mistaken, this means that
there will be a lot of USB devices that use a type C connector/port, that
are going to be expected to connect to a USB host controller using a type A
connector at the other end. There is no expectation that a type C connector
is going to use gen 2 protocol or anything like that.

2) I'll use a linux distribution that uses the latest kernel available, and
that will ensure that it supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 and Gen 2. And I will
double check the hardware support by using the bash command list that Alan
supplied in his reply which is copied below:

*sudo lshw | grep -A10 -i usb *

Sincerely
Neil
oregonlinuxjobs at gmail.com