[PLUG] Where are cups website files?

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:17:58 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 7:06 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What Linux distro are you using?

>> washed

>> rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>

>> > months
>> related

>> file
>> > or

>> printing

>> > Yes, this is a continuation of the original issue.
>> >
>> > To recap:
>> > About six months or so ago I replaced my router, which required changing
>> > the IP address on my printer. After the IP address change, the print
>> became
>> > washed out with a yellow/greenish tint. At first I thought it was a
>> printer
>> > problem. Later, I discovered that it printed fine from my other
>> computers.
>> > It was suggested several times it may be a driver problem. I had asked
>> how
>> > to update or otherwise fix the driver problem, but got no replies. I
>> got by
>> > with it for a while as the colors were not a big issue at the time.
>> > Recently, I had to change routers again, with IP address changes as
>> well.
>> > From several other sources I was recommended to visit a web page that
>> > discussed updating hplip. I followed the instructions there and
>> installed
>> > the latest version of hplip. The installation removed the previous
>> version
>> > of hplip and my previous printer information. Following the listed
>> > procedure, it progressed fine until it started the printer install.
>> Once it
>> > discovered my printer, it said a special binary plugin was required and
>> > proceeded to install it. The installation was successful, but it again
>> said
>> > the binary plugin was required. This repeated a number of times, plugin
>> > required, install plugin, plugin installation successful, plugin
>> required,
>> > install... ad nauseum. Some Internet searches revealed many people had
>> > experienced this behavior over at least eight years, but the complaints
>> > were never answered or solved.
>> >
>> > So, I tried to use cups and skip hplip. The various instructions all
>> say to
>> > go to localhost:631 for the web interface to cups. I verified cups is
>> > installed and running. When I bring up the web interface, the opening
>> pages
>> > displays fine. However, any local link I click on simply goes to a page
>> > that says "Not Found". Remote links to forums, cups websites, etc. all
>> work
>> > fine. There are a variety of help files, which I located at
>> > /usr/share/cups/doc-root/help/. I can browse directly to that folder and
>> > display the various helpfiles directly, but not through the
> [...]

I managed to dump hplip. I reinstalled cups with
$ sudo apt install cups
and that seemed to go well. At least now the web interface is working
properly.
I go to Add Printers and Classes from the web interface and select Add
Printers.
It shows my printer listed twice. One choice shows the connection as
dnssd://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%202600n._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
The other option says:
socket://192.168.2.111

Then it asks me to select the driver. I select the PPD file I have for the
printer and go through the various config pages. Everything seems to go
smoothly. It doesn't matter which of the two printer options I select, they
both say they install fine. But I cannot print to either one of them. When
I try to  print, everything looks good and a popup in the upper right
corner of the screen says the job was accepted, completed, and finished.
Except nothing happens from the printer.

One big difference between two computers. Under Connection, the working one
says
hp:/net/HP_Color_Laser_Jet_2600n?ip=192.168.2.111
while the non-working one says
socket://192.168.2.111
or
dnssd://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%202600n._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/

I can't seem to find a connection option that shows the hp:/net/HP_Color...
option.
When I try to print something, the computer says print job completed.

Still hoping for ideas.

Michael