[PLUG] Where are cups website files?

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:31:54 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 3:32 PM Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 3:18 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 7:06 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Tomas Kuchta <
> > tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com>

> > barnmichael at gmail.com

> six

> > apply.

> > printer
> > hplip/cups

> > changing
> asked
> that
> > and
> again
> > plugin
> had
> > complaints

> is
> opening
> > page
> all
> > and
> > found.

> try
> other
> > and

> > > Linux Mint 18.3
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >

> > I managed to dump hplip. I reinstalled cups with
> > $ sudo apt install cups
> > and that seemed to go well. At least now the web interface is working
> > properly.
> > I go to Add Printers and Classes from the web interface and select Add
> > Printers.
> > It shows my printer listed twice. One choice shows the connection as
> > dnssd://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%202600n._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
> > The other option says:
> > socket://192.168.2.111
> >
> > Then it asks me to select the driver. I select the PPD file I have for
> the
> > printer and go through the various config pages. Everything seems to go
> > smoothly. It doesn't matter which of the two printer options I select,
> they
> > both say they install fine. But I cannot print to either one of them.
> When
> > I try to  print, everything looks good and a popup in the upper right
> > corner of the screen says the job was accepted, completed, and finished.
> > Except nothing happens from the printer.
> >
> > One big difference between two computers. Under Connection, the working
> one
> > says
> > hp:/net/HP_Color_Laser_Jet_2600n?ip=192.168.2.111
> > while the non-working one says
> > socket://192.168.2.111
> > or
> > dnssd://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%202600n._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
> >
> > I can't seem to find a connection option that shows the
> hp:/net/HP_Color...
> > option.
> > When I try to print something, the computer says print job completed.
> >

> Have you tried using the GUI tool to set this up? Generally the CUPS tools
> [...]

I was able to use the GUI to change the connection to the
hp:/net/HP_Color... specification, but made no difference.
cups still seems to be unable to actually talk to the printer, even though
all indications are that it is.
I have removed hplip from the problem computer. My other two Linux
computers do not have anything related to hplip installed and they work
fine.

A Google search for install HP 2600n Ubuntu is an exercise in futility.
Some sites say to load hplip, which never worked, other sites say that
printer cannot be used with Linux and must be connected to a Windows
machine and shared, yet other sites say that Linux is not supported, you
are on your own.  I have had this printer for over ten years and always
used it with Linux machines (as well as Mac and Windows) on the LAN. This
is the first trouble I have had.

Frustrating.

Michael