[PLUG] Online reading ... Re: Ripping audio cds

John Sechrest sechrest at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:16:24 UTC 2020

There are plenty of open source channels besides the phone system where you
could do this.

Jami, any web RTC based video system would work.

But at some point this becomes a public meeting. As a public meeting,
copywritten material has some obligations. Like stores that play
copywritten music in the store....

So dancing around the edges of this is an issue of finding where the edges
are.

At what point does a group constitute public?

And at what point does live reading have different rules than recording the
material....

What are the really great stories that have fallen off copywrite?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:53 PM Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Ali Corbin wrote:
> >https://www.library.ca.gov/btbl/
> >They'll be able to provide her with downloadable audio books.
>
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 11:32:56AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > I believe that she's checked that source and found little of interest.
>
> Open source opportunity here -
>
> I presume the public telephone system can be used to
> "broadcast" to many dialins simultaneously.
>
> Imagine a nationwide community of volunteers who read
> a book that they own over the phone to small groups of
> 5 to 15 blind listeners.   Those listeners first call
> a "catalog number" to find find an upcoming reading they
> want to listen to, then join into the conference call at
> scheduled times.  The volunteers don't just read, but
> interact with their listeners.  Amateur but involved.
>
> And a whole lot better than twiddling thumbs in front
> of a TV.
>
> My mother read to me when I was little.  I read the
> detective novels she liked to her when she was dying.
> Note: contemporary detective novels use words that my
> mother taught me not to use when I was little ... :-/
>
> Of course, with the current unconstitutional perpetual
> copyright system, some authors will piss and moan about
> lost sales and stolen intellectual property.  I'd like
> to see what a jury would do to those greedy authors and
> their lawyers if they attack the disabled.
>
> I post this here, rather than plug-talk, because there
> is likely to be open source software and services that
> enable this, or can be modified to do so.
>
> A for-pay commercial service (like Zoom) might seem
> easier, but an informal service provided by informal
> volunteers using transparent open software builds trust
> and connection using domestic (not offshore) resources.
>
> The United States will need such community building to
> survive the November elections.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com

John Sechrest      .  Need to schedule a meeting :
http://sechrest.youcanbookme.com
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .