[PLUG] Long Range Wireless

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 03:11:54 UTC 2020

Probably discussed before, but I can't find it now. I need to set up some
longer range wireless than the normal Walmart networking toys. In the past,
I have used a Netgear router hooked to a high gain outdoor antenna. I have
heard of Ubiquiti equipment and seen a few of them, a small device that
hooks right to the antenna and has a CAT5 POE connection to the router
inside. Supposedly, these can be used as both a router connection for
others to access the network, as well as an access point to connect my
computer to a network.  I have heard the Ubiquiti Bullet mentioned, but I
see there are a variety of models and I am unclear what I need. Also, many
of them seem to be discontinued.

If anyone has any ideas on currently available products in this area, I
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael