[PLUG] Long Range Wireless

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 05:30:15 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 9:29 PM Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> Something vaguely like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZ03UUW
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
> wrote:
>
> > PowerBeam was one product line. Can you tell me if you control both sides
> > or only one?
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 8:14 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Probably discussed before, but I can't find it now. I need to set up
> some
> >> longer range wireless than the normal Walmart networking toys. In the
> >> past,
> >> I have used a Netgear router hooked to a high gain outdoor antenna. I
> have
> >> heard of Ubiquiti equipment and seen a few of them, a small device that
> >> hooks right to the antenna and has a CAT5 POE connection to the router
> >> inside. Supposedly, these can be used as both a router connection for
> >> others to access the network, as well as an access point to connect my
> >> computer to a network.  I have heard the Ubiquiti Bullet mentioned, but
> >> see there are a variety of models and I am unclear what I need. Also,
> many
> >> of them seem to be discontinued.
> >>
> >> If anyone has any ideas on currently available products in this area, I
> >> would appreciate it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Michael
> >> _____

Not really. I already have  on hand two high-gain omni-directional 2.5 GHz
antennas I would prefer to use. The radio I am looking for is weatherproof
for outdoor mounting, and screws right into the antenna. These will be used
on my RV.

I am looking at two scenarios.
1. I am visiting someone who has conventional wifi in their house. The
signal outside is somewhat weak to my laptop in the RV. I want an access
point connected to the big antenna and to my laptop for a more reliable
connection.
2. I am supporting an activity where there is no Internet connectivity, but
we need a local wireless network. My router in my RV supplies all the
necessary infrastructure (DHCP, file sharing, etc), but I need a big signal
from the large antenna for good coverage up to 1000 feet for other users of
the group to interconnect and share files.

I was told a Ubiquiti radio would do this, but I don't know which one.

Michael