[PLUG] Recommendations monitor repair?

Vince Winter vince.winter at freegeek.org
Thu Apr 9 18:35:27 UTC 2020

Hello All,

*puts on my work hat*

We don't do much that requires soldering at Free Geek due to fire risks and
our normally large amount of volunteers (who have a large variety of skill
levels each).

Tech Support focuses on mostly desktops and laptops. We don't really do
more than triage monitors.

30" monitors with DVI are closer to the $30-150 range depending on
supported resolutions at Free Geek. They are doing online sales and
curbside pickups.

*takes off work hat*

Russel Senior is correct that most of the time ,if the screen isn't
cracked, it is usually a capacitor that is blown. If you feel confident
with a soldering iron, the part is like $1-5.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2020, Mark Allyn wrote:
>
> > FreeGeek?
>
> I recall seeing a tech support area with a window in the retail store. They
> could probably fix the monitor ... once they're open again.
>
> Rich

Vince Winter
Tech Support Staff
Free Geek