[PLUG] Question on Zoombombin

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 9 22:05:56 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, Nat Taylor wrote:

> Current best practices for hosting zoom meetings is to require a password,
> and have all users wait in a "waiting room" until the host allows them in.
> I think you can set it so Audio and Video is disabled too until the host
> allows it.

Recently I read (on krebsonsecurity.com) that the lack of passwords was the
major entrance for bad actors to interrupt Zoom meetings.

The two in which I participated the past couple of weeks had passwords. And,
when I dialed in, entered the meeting and password numbers the computer told
me that I was in the meeting and the host was not yet present. When the host
connected to the meeting we started.

In these meetings those using computers were asked to keep off their cameras
unless they were recognized to speak. And all of us were asked to mute our
phones. I used *6 to unmute/mute the phone and *9 to 'raise my hand' when I
had something to contribute.

No intruders in either meeting.