[PLUG] Chromebook experiences?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 05:32:10 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 9:58 PM Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> wrote:

> My wife has one, she just got it the other day. It allows you to
> install Linux and/or Linux apps depending on what is needed.
> I played with it a bit but did not do too much as I did not want
> to load a bunch of stuff on there she will never use.
>
> I did install Linux on it ( B-])  for grins, it is command line but
> I could have then installed linux apps and I guess run them.
> What installed was of the Debian family it used apt to install
> apps... So I felt reasonably at home.

What apps did you try out? The "developer mode" is a linux container that
is downloaded and launched within chromeos. My understanding is that this
little container is isolated from the rest of the OS, and access to
hardware is limited. You can't even access the GPU properly with it. The
only real developer use-case is for sysadmins writing scripts in
bash/python for text processing and config file editing...

I don't know how many different implementations there are for
the different chromebooks, but from my research it looked like their
developer mode is completely bogus.