[PLUG] Zoom and Debian Buster...

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:34:08 UTC 2020

> . There are lots of reasons why a video could freeze like that and not all
> of them are network related.

True. I often find myself looking at problems through the network lens
first from decades of other IT staff, employees and customers blaming the
network for their computing woes.

> If you are able to connect at all, then it's unlikely that your firewall
> is the source of the problem.

Also true. However, if the firewall is iptables running on a computer it's
conceivable that the computer's resources could be overburdened and
affecting traffic flowing through the firewall and the video stream
freezes.

I suspect that Zoom is probably fairly resource intensive. Here's how'd I
approach the problem. 1. Drop the frame rate / resolution of the frame rate
of the Zoom call down to the lowest rate and see if that helps. 2. Check
the resource utilization on both end points and the ip tables machine
during a Zoom call.