[PLUG] Debian Buster and USB3...

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 06:35:53 UTC 2020

I use MTR to do some of that testing. It is kind of like traceroute but
gives a lot more info.

It is traceroute, "Matt's or My" traceroute. Bit It also includes ping sent
/ reply stats per hop after the route is traced and  some other options
that are useful for checking all the network hops from end to end.

There are a slew of commands and utilities for network troubleshooting. But
tools don't fix problems by themselves.

What I've seen on this list so many times is folks trying to troubleshoot
networking related issues without a solid understanding of how networking
actually works.

The best tool that I know to use for determining if the NIC on your local
computer is dropping packets is Ethtool:

ethtool -S wlp2s0b1

NIC statistics:
     rx_packets: 478448
     rx_bytes: 311948183
     rx_duplicates: 2052
     rx_fragments: 346639
     rx_dropped: 2787
     tx_packets: 134979
     tx_bytes: 24760285
     tx_filtered: 0
     tx_retry_failed: 1250
     tx_retries: 17627

Ethtool even has an option for a NIC self-test.

~ $ sudo ethtool -t enp0s25 offline
The test result is FAIL
The test extra info:
Register test  (offline) 0