[PLUG] Setting up LAMP on Xubuntu 18.04

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:20:18 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 1:12 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> Today's work is done, so I'm going to migrate the last of the stuff from
> ENU-1 to ENU-2, my desktop machines. The next task is installing LAMP on
> ENU-1. I've done this several times over the years, and I don't expect
> to run into any problems.
>
> Except one. A few years ago, in their infinite wisdom, someone decided
> to change MySQL/MariaDB and PHP. A few programs I wrote no longer work.
> They are not important, and I never bothered to upgrade them. There is
> one website I didn't write, but I'm responsible for some of the
> maintenance on it. I used to keep a copy running on my local LAMP
> installation, but it no longer works. Fortunately the ISP host maintains
> the old way. What I'd like to do is use the old way on my fresh LAMP
> installation. What I don't know is how to tell the install tools that I
> want the old way.
>
> Does anyone understand what I'm asking, and know how to do it?

What do you mean by "old way", are you referring to old versions? You'll
need to provide more specifics about the programs you are running, and
their dependencies. LAMP stacks tend to be supported over very long time
periods so all you need to do is make sure you install the correct packages
from the ubuntu repo, and then bring over your config files.

If you can define what packages were used on the "old" system, someone here
can probably guide you to the newer version.
- Webserver name/version
- MySQL version
- PHP version
- Additional PHP modules

Whatever program you are working with should have a list of dependencies
documented somewhere.

Note that these are just first steps. There are other factors to consider
in terms of your httpd and database setup to actually get it to work and
the internet isn't going to provide you with a clear and concise answer
without a massive amount of information from your end.