[PLUG] Alsamixer setup

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 02:24:07 UTC 2020

Yeah a USB device is essentially going to be a USB sound card. It's a
different device. based on what you described you plug it in, but it doesnt
show at all so that means the drivers for it arent loading, or do not
exist. Common problem with USB sound cards.
As for the digital option, yes you don't want to use it. Normally the
duplex option is fine, digital output is an advanced feature that I doubt
you are using.

I think your pulseaudio setup is working, but the lack of functionality
from the USB adapter is causing confusion. Treat it as 2 separate issues,
getting the USB device to show up, and then figuring out how to tell
pavucontrol to handle the inputs and outputs.

The idea here is that you would have a second sound card, and you would be
able to specify in the app, or pavucontrol which card to use. Get your
hardware working before jumping to software.

As for JACK, it's either pulseaudio or jack. If you run both at the same
time it's going to give you a massive headache since they implement
overlapping functionality. Either way it sounds like jack doesn't see the
USB device, so it's still all moot.