[PLUG] Audio in/out selector/sound levels

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 30 15:28:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> However, I then installed apulse. When I tried running it nothing happens:
> $ apulse [rshepard at salmo ~]$

Update:

I missed reading the line that pulseaudio needs to be removed before
installing apulse. So I un-installed apulse and pulseaudio and re-installed
apulse. Typing that command at the shell prompt appears to do nothing.

Un-installed apulse and re-installed pulseaudio. Now it sees the cards in
/proc/asound.

pavucontrol's configuration has
HDA-ATI HDMI Profile: off
HD-Audio Generic Profile: Analog Stereo Output

and the Output Devices tab displays
HD-Audio Generic Analog Stereo Port: Line out (Plugged in)

and,

$ pulseaudio-ctl
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
pulseaudio-ctl v1.67

  /usr/bin/pulseaudio-ctl {up,down,mute,mute-input,set,atmost,full-status} [n]

  Where up and down adjust volume in ±5 % increments
  Where up and down [n] adjust volume in ±n % increments
  Where mute toggles the mute status on/off
  Where mute-input toggles the input status on/off
  Where set set the volume to [n] %
  Where atmost only takes effect if current volume is higher than [n]
  Where full-status prints volume level, sink and source mute state to stdout

  Optionally, redefine an upper threshold in /home/rshepard/.config/pulseaudio-ctl/config

  Volume level     :  %
  Is sink muted    :
  Is source muted  :
  Detected sink    :
  Detected source  :

while,

# ps ax | grep pulseaudio
  4519 ?        S<l    0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
20780 pts/3    S+     0:00 grep pulseaudio
21199 ?        S<l   33:28 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --disallow-module-loading
27906 ?        S<l    0:00 pulseaudio

do I need to kill all pulseaudio processes then re-start using 'pulseaudio &'?