[PLUG] PinePhone

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 9 12:41:39 UTC 2020

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020, Mike C. wrote:

> Rich, if you dig a lil' bit deeper into and get a bit clearer about this,
> you can do a lot to mitigate Google's or any other corporate tracking of
> your online presence and offline activities.

Mike,

True that.

> 1. Airplane mode - I keep my phone in airplane mode unless I'm using it or
> expecting a call.

In the office/house the mobile phone sits on the desk or table. When I'm out
it's in a faraday cage pouch until I want to make a call or am expecting
one.

> 2. There are plenty of non-Google options for mail, search, Duck Duck
> Go,Maps, Open Street Maps and the list goes on.

Which is why I a) use the mobile phone for only voice calls and SMS
messages and b) run postfix and have my own domains, and have been aware of
privacy issues for years. But, that's not the focus of my business so I'm
aware there's always more to learn.

> 3. EFF's Self Defense Kit -  https://ssd.eff.org/ If you're not familiar
> with it and privacy, anonymity, security are important to you, I'd highly
> spend some time getting familiar with it and learning how to apply it to
> your online activities and your life.

Good to know. I'll look into it.

Stay well,