[PLUG] Java on RPi Zero

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:22:24 UTC 2020

Mixing the old with the new. All my Christmas lights run on X-10 modules.
I'm trying to interface them with my Alexa. I have the CM-19A module and an
appropriate transceiver. The CM-19A is connected to a new Pi Zero running
mochad. I am able to control the lights by echoing commands to nc. Now
trying  to interface with Alexa. What I have found asks me to use the Home
Automation Bridge from BWS Systems. That is a jar application, so I need
Java.
I started with sudo apt install default-jdk that almost installed but gave
an error of
"Server VM is only supported on ARMv7+ VFP"
I looked around and someone said that the Pi Zero was an ARMv6 and to
install openjdk-8-jre, which I did. Then I get the same error when trying
to run the bridge. Looking further, someone said to install openjdk-7-jdk,
but that errors with no available packages, too old.

So, how do I run java on a pi zero?

Thanks,
Michael