[PLUG] USB 3.x power question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 10 02:19:40 UTC 2020

I have a 7 port USB 3.0 (I think that's the minor version) hub with the
external backup drive and trackball attached to it.

My Palm TX sync cable used to work when plugged into the hub, but stopped a
couple of weeks ago. This evening I connected it directly into the USB-2.x
port on the front of the desktop case and was able to backup the handheld.

I know little about USB so I don't understand why it quit working when
connected via the hub. I turn on the hub ports as needed; only two are on
continuously.

Is there such a device as a USB power booster that can be installed between
the motherboard and the external hub? The 7-port adapter is already powered
by a cable to the AC line voltage so I'm at a loss why the TX sync/backup
quit working. And I'd like to use the hub with more devices if sufficient
power can be supplied.

TIA,