[PLUG] CentOS going away, viva Rocky?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Dec 10 20:42:37 UTC 2020

I've used Redhat flavor distros since the dawn of time.
I moved to Scientific Linux because of the focus on
ultra-long-term support (10y+) and extra scientific
packages.   Fermilabs stopped supporting the Scientific
Linux variant, so I moved to CentOS.

Now, with an abrupt announcement early this week,
CentOS is going away.  the supposed replacement is
"CentOS Stream", which is RedHat's new name for their
upstream rolling release; the opposite of stability.

The good news is that Greg Kurtzer (the guy who started
Caos which became CentOS) announced Rocky Linux two
days ago, and already 700+ developers have joined him.

I expect Fermilabs and CERN and Los Alamos will also
get involved.  They will not shut down the Large Hadron
Collider because RedHat/IBM are buttheads.

Ever see the cartoon of the fellow sawing off the limb
he is sitting on, and the tree falls over instead?
I've seen this happen when large corporations throw
their weight around - the little guys join forces,
go to work, and turn out a better product/service .
The limb replaces the rotten tree.

CERN gave us the world wide web; with their support,
great things will happen for Linux.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com