[PLUG] CentOS going away, viva Rocky?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 22:18:28 UTC 2020

On 12/10/20 1:54 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Jake Bottero wrote:
>
>> It is not surprising that IBM has taken this misguided path, they
>> fail to
>> understand that Enterprise users of CentOS will not simply start buying
>> overpriced licenses for RHEL, they will bail out for Ubuntu Server.
>> IBM’s
>> misjudgment on this marks the beginning of the end for RHEL. Been
>> nice to
>> know you...
>
> Mid-last century IBM acknowledged that they were not selling leading edge
> technology, but on-site customer support and hand-holding. That also
> did in
> DEC and other companies such as Xerox.
>
> I read about CentOS' demise on Ars Technica this morning and was not
> at all
> surprised.
>
> Stay well,
>
> Rich

I love the part about "CentOS Special Interest Groups (SIGs)" since it
comes across as incredibly tone-deaf in our current political climate.
But I'm really not surprised either. We've all seen this coming over the
past several years so really they are just closing the loop.

But as always, failure presents opportunity...  People should support
distros that prioritize user freedom over corporate interests.

https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux/overview

Given that Canonical is in Microsoft's pocket these days I will laugh at
anyone who bails for Ubuntu Server :-)

-Ben