[PLUG] OpenWRT and http routing by host

Eric House eehouse at eehouse.org
Sat Dec 12 00:05:41 UTC 2020

There seems to be a lot of OpenWRT expertise on this list. Having
failed to find an answer by googling, I'm posting with crossed
fingers.

At home I run a webserver for goofing around. I've only had one domain
hosted there and so OpenWRT needed only to forward all traffic on 80
and 443 to the VM for that domain. Now I want to add a second domain.
Rather than add a second server config to nginx on the VM I want
OpenWRT to forward to a different LAN host based on the domain
targeted by incoming http{,s} traffic.

Problem is that OpenWRT already has a mickey-mouse webserver hosting
the configuration UI. And that server doesn't do anything close to
routing based on domains. I could replace it with nginx (or so I've
read), but then I have to figure out how to get the configuration UI
working. And given that OpenWRT doesn't seem to handle upgrades very
well once you have non-stock packages involved I'm not confident the
setup will remain trouble-free.

If I were a commercial site, or maybe even with more room for servers,
I'd add something between the router and the rest of the LAN to handle
this. Should I be doing that here rather than asking OpenWRT to do
something it's not designed for? The little box it's on has plenty of
horsepower, and feels like the right place for this given my network
topology. But the fact I can't find people discussing how to do this
makes me think there are reasons not to try.

Thanks,

--Eric
--
My g-bike can trounce your e-bike!