[PLUG] No sound

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Dec 19 00:12:39 UTC 2020

On 12/18/20 4:04 PM, TomasK wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-12-18 at 15:56 -0800, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> On 12/18/20 3:40 PM, Ken Stephens wrote:
>>> Dick,
>>>
>>> Another way to control sound is use your desktop menu and go to
>>> settings->sound and try the various settings.  Depends on the
>>> window
>>> manager menu.  But command line like Rich suggests is good, too.
>>>
>> My desktop menu has Settings->Multimedia, but not Settings->Sound.
>>
>> In Multimedia I have Cheese, Parole Media Player, PulseAudio Volume
>> Control, Rhythmbox, Videos, and Xfburn. None of those (except
>> PulseAudio
>> Volume Control) appear to have anything other than mute and volume
>> control, and those that play sound are all set to unmute and volume
>> at a
>> level that should be heard.
>>
>> Is it possible that the audio part of the motherboard gave up?
>> Sounds
>> unlikely, but ...
>>
> Just type pavucontrol on the command line.
> If that does not work install it: apt install pavucontrol
>
> Even without playing stuff - pavucontrol allow to test speakers

pavucontrol from the command line launches the same program as clicking
PulseAudio Volume Control from the Multimedia menu. I can launch both of
them at the same time and see two instances of the display. Changing a
setting on one changes it on the other.

Is there some control in that tool for testing audio? I don't see
anything obvious. I just play a sound with some other program.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens