[PLUG] No sound

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Dec 21 05:58:45 UTC 2020

On 12/20/20 9:42 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 11:34 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote
>
>> With the turntable unplugged PulseAudio sees a port labeled Line Out
>> (plugged in). When I plug in the turntable it adds a section for PCM2900
>> Audio Codec Analog Stereo in a port labeled Analog Output. The Line Out
>> (plugged in) section is still there. BTW, I also tried powering up the
>> turntable, but it had no effect.
>>
>> Now my question is, is there a way to change the behavior?
>>
> What happens in the Configuration tab of PulseAudio control when you
> connect and disconnect the turntable?

It starts with two sections labeled Built-in Audio. One of them says
Profile: Off, and the other says Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex.
When I connect the turntable a third section appears labeled PCM2900. It
says Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex.

Clicking on the down-arrow provides a list of options, some input and
some output. If I select Off, the sound returns to the speakers. Sound
remains playing through the speakers when I select Analog Stereo Input,
or Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input. I assume, coming through USB, the
latter is the one I'll want for recording an LP.

This may solve the problem. Just to see, I left the USB cable plugged in
and restarted the machine. When it came up, PCM Audio Codec still had a
profile Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input.

So maybe it just needed to be told what I want it to be and will keep
that going forward? Hope, hope.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens