[PLUG] No sound

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Dec 21 15:54:48 UTC 2020

On 12/20/20 11:45 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:

> On 12/20/20 9:58 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> On 12/20/20 9:42 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
>>> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 11:34 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
>>> wrote

>>> What happens in the Configuration tab of PulseAudio control when you
>>> connect and disconnect the turntable?
>>
>> It starts with two sections labeled Built-in Audio. One of them says
>> Profile: Off, and the other says Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex.
>> When I connect the turntable a third section appears labeled PCM2900.
>> It says Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex.
>>
>> Clicking on the down-arrow provides a list of options, some input and
>> some output. If I select Off, the sound returns to the speakers.
>> Sound remains playing through the speakers when I select Analog
>> Stereo Input, or Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input. I assume, coming
>> through USB, the latter is the one I'll want for recording an LP.
>>
>> This may solve the problem. Just to see, I left the USB cable plugged
>> in and restarted the machine. When it came up, PCM Audio Codec still
>> had a profile Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input.
>>
>> So maybe it just needed to be told what I want it to be and will keep
>> that going forward? Hope, hope.
>>

> By selecting "Off" for the Built-in Audio profile you effectively
> disabled your built-in motherboard sound chip. You basically told
> Pulseaudio to not include that device in the list of available audio
> devices which results in it selecting the next audio device down the
> list when an application starts playing sound.
>

> This also explains why it worked when you selected "Analog Stereo
> input" and "Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input". Both of those options tell
> Pulseaudio that your card is to be used for input ONLY so it never
> shows as an output device. Since the problem was audio not playing
> through the correct device setting the device to input only has the
> same effect as turning it off.
>

> You can achieve the same result by changing your default sound device
> to whatever your speakers are plugged into. You'll also need to check
> the application's stream and make sure it is using the "default" since
> pulse allows individual apps to play through a different card if told
> to do so.

Thanks. That's a "sound" explanation of what I discovered. It makes
sense, and I'll remember it when I swap ENU1 and ENU2 (once I've
installed Xubuntu 20.04.1 on ENU1 and transferred all the important data
to it from ENU2), since the turntable will stay with the desk it's on
and ENU2 will likely have the same problem when I first plug the
turntable in.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens