[PLUG] Wayland and Wayfire

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 19:28:10 UTC 2020

Folks,
Is anyone using Wayland with Wayfire? I am trying to make
it cook but so far I get down to the very last piece on the install
and I get all kinds of errors. I am using the install scripts for
Ubuntu 20.04, here is the link to the instructions.
https://github.com/DurandA/wayfire/wiki/Ubuntu-20.04-installation

I get down to the point where I do the wlroots build and install
and it tosses the following error:

meson.build:1:0: ERROR: Meson version is 0.53.2 but project requires
>=0.54.0

I do the following:
which meson && meson --version
and get:
/usr/bin/meson
0.53.2
I am trying to figure out how to force it to go to ver:
0.54.0

I am using the command:
pip3 install meson ninja

As indicated by the instructions. I am trying to figure
out how to force it to pull the 0.54 ver, that is supposed
to be a python pull (they advise elsewhere against using
apt to do the install exactly due to apt pulling an older
rev level)

I have pulled a lot of things from GitHub but never run
into this before.
I want to try the 3D effects on Wayland one of the items
that I am interested in is the "cube" or whatever number
of desktops. If I can make it work I want to test it and see
if I can migrate to Wayland and get on something more
modern and not so intensive as Compiz. Love it but I think
it is time to start looking at leaving it. Wayland appears to
be much less resource intensive, yet I can keep my cube
and other effects.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.