[PLUG] Midnight Commander display borked

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Dec 28 17:33:11 UTC 2020

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020, Nat Taylor wrote:

> My midnight commander's output is all weird, it's framed with
> diamonds with question marks in them, The file listings on the left
> hand side have their beginnings obscured due to this. I recently
> installed progress, pv, and rsync.  I uninstalled progress, thinking
> that it may have had something to do to it, but to no avail.

I suspect it's one of two things.

First, your language settings may be off. What is the output of the
"locale" utility in the terminal you're using to launch mc?

If it's not set to a unicode variant (e.g., en_US.UTF-8), you'll want
to do that:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

and try launching mc again.

Second, if your LANG variable is set to a UTF-8 variant, then the
problem may be that the terminal you're using is not
unicode-compliant. Try "mc -a," which uses simpler glyphs.

Finally, mc may be trying to use a typeface that doesn't exist on your
system. I don't know Midnight Commander well enough to suggest a fix.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W