[PLUG] Midnight Commander display borked

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:16:15 UTC 2020

On 12/28/20 10:33 AM, Nat Taylor wrote:
> Hmm...  Everything but LC_ALL is UTF-8
> mc -a does fix it
> But I have figured out that I was using xfce4-terminal instead of Konsole
> or QTerminal, and the problem is only there.
>
> I guess the moral of the story is to use mc -a if you are using
> xfce4-terminal, or just use a different terminal for mc
>
> I had installed pv and progress in attempts to get progress meters while
> transferring files to my new hard drive from the command line over the
> network, but then realized that mc already had progress meters and worked
> great.
>
> I guess they weren't the culprits after all.
>
> I guess I hadn't tried mc in the xfce4-terminal I had inadvertently
> launched.  Unless me installing advcpmv locally to test somehow borked it
> just for xfce4-terminal

I've used mc with xfce-terminal for years and ages.  versions 4.10, 4.12
had some issues with line drawing characters with some system fonts,
4.14 was better.  I'm on 4.16 now (xfce-terminal-0.8.10). spiffy!

in ~/.bashrc I have

# Set 256 color for XFCE terminal
if [ "$COLORTERM" == "xfce4-terminal" ] ; then
    export TERM=xterm-256color

I also have xfce-terminal preferences set to use "Monospace Regular 12pt"

Note that, depending on xfce-terminal and mc versions, not all Options
-> Appearance work well in xfce-terminal. pick one that looks good.
With UTF-8 <default> and mc46 should always work fine without the -a
option.  There are a number of styles that may work better with your
default system font.

If you like mc, check out krusader (part of KDE5)

btw, rsync also has a progress meter option (--progress and --info=progress)

All the GUI and CLI file managers have progress bars. I have no idea why
there are so may duplicate projects to add stuff to mv, cp etc, when
rsync works just fine when you RTFM.

Moral of the story: Don't blame xfce-terminal for PEBKAC.

-Ed