[PLUG] Scanner dependent on USB port

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 2 20:49:41 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> USB is a complicated thing. I suspect that the software is not the issue.
> A motherboard has one, two, three or more USB connectors, and each
> connector may serve more than one port, thus more than one port may have
> to share what the motherboard gives it. And the motherboard may be lumping
> connectors together as well.

John,

Interesting.

> Try lshw -c usb to see if it sheds any light

Nope. By itself a few strings flash along the terminal but there's no output
display. Using 'lshw -X -c usb' produces an empty window; 'lshw -c usb -dump
<filename>' and,

[root at salmo ~]# lshw -short -c usb
H/W path            Device  Class       Description
[root at salmo ~]# lshw -businfo -c usb
Bus info          Device  Class       Description
[root at salmo ~]# lshw -xml -c usb
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
<!-- generated by lshw-unknown -->
<!-- GCC 5.5.0 -->
<!-- Linux 4.19.84 #1 SMP Tue Nov 19 13:57:34 PST 2019 x86_64 -->
<!-- GNU libc 2 (glibc 2.23) -->
<list>
</list>

> on which port has what capabilities. The user manual for the motherboard
> may also provide clues.

The manual tells me which 3.x flavor is assigned to each port on the rear
panel.

Thanks,