[PLUG] Scanner dependent on USB port [RESOLVED]

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Feb 2 21:32:35 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 13:11:28 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I should have known that USB ports have limited power supply
>capabilities. My external optical drive (used for the Dell 2100 and
>ThinkPad X200) has two USB cables, one for power the other for data.

I also have an optical drive that came with a cable like that. I could
never figure out which fork was data and which was power, and then I
wondered if it was using both for power.

It was advertised as being USB 2.0. The interesting part is what happens
when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port. (None of my computers have USB 2.0
ports any more.) Not only does the drive not need both forks inserted,
it also doesn't seem to matter which one I use.