[PLUG] Domain registration transfers to name.com - WTF?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Feb 5 01:11:13 UTC 2020

A few weeks ago, I started getting emails from Name.com
telling me my domain registration service was moved from
Dyn.com.  No email directly from Dyn ... which used to
be dyndns, which used to be a volunteer project, then a
low cost service, then an independent company, then a
boil-the-frog escalating-price subsidiary of Oracle.

Name.com has a past (and hopefully not current) reputation
for registration hijacking.  It turns out (see below) that
this happened because of a policy change by Oracle.  Maybe
due to all those nasty things I say about Larry Ellison.

I feel like someone whose family has been in the West Bank
for 1000 years, and now can't stay and can't leave.

Anyhow, I'll jump through Name.com's hoops, then continue
jumping to another domain registrar and name service;
probably dotster.

Sigh.  Shoulda left after the Oracle takeover.  What a
waste of money.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com

The email from dyn.com: