[PLUG] pdf tools?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 02:58:00 UTC 2020

+1 for Thomas.  Usually for those one-offs, a GUI pdf tool will do the
trick just fine.

As for qpdf, either of these should work:

$ qpdf january-27-2020.pdf --pages . 6-7 -- Story.pdf
$ qpdf --empty --pages january-27-2020.pdf 6-7 -- Story.pdf

A simpler and less feature-rich tool is the poppler-utils package.

$ dpkg -s poppler-utils | sed -ne '/^Description:/,/Homepage:/p'
 Poppler is a PDF rendering library based on Xpdf PDF viewer.
 .
 This package contains command line utilities (based on Poppler) for getting
 information of PDF documents, convert them to other formats, or manipulate
 them:
  * pdfdetach -- lists or extracts embedded files (attachments)
  * pdffonts -- font analyzer
  * pdfimages -- image extractor
  * pdfinfo -- document information
  * pdfseparate -- page extraction tool
  * pdfsig -- verifies digital signatures
  * pdftocairo -- PDF to PNG/JPEG/PDF/PS/EPS/SVG converter using Cairo
  * pdftohtml -- PDF to HTML converter
  * pdftoppm -- PDF to PPM/PNG/JPEG image converter
  * pdftops -- PDF to PostScript (PS) converter
  * pdftotext -- text extraction
  * pdfunite -- document merging tool
Homepage: http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

In your case, this should work:

$ pdfseparate -f 6 -l 7 january-27-2020.pdf Story.pdf

Good luck.  And let us know what you tried and what works for you.

Regards,
- Robert