[PLUG] Laptop wireless problem - resolved

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 00:50:01 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 2:44 PM Nat Taylor <bioborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it could be a DHCP issue.  Like the router didn’t keep the
> connection alive but wouldn’t give out a new one because it wasn’t all the
> way dead.  You might try kicking the laptop off thru the routers webadmin,
> then trying to reconnect next time.  I’m sure there is a more technical way
> to put this but I’ve had it happen before...

The technical term for that is the DHCP lease. The router maintains a list
of all devices that have been assigned addresses via DHCP and reserves each
IP for a pre-determined amount of time. When a  device's "lease" is up, the
IP address will typically change. This is determined by the software and in
the case of buggy routers can be problematic because the router has to
juggle the timers for all the different devices on the router. If the DHCP
software is poorly designed or configured, it can result in IP conflicts
and other glitches. Since his phone was working fine, it's possible that
his router was trying to assign the same IP for both devices, resulting in
a conflict and resulting in one of them getting preferential treatment over
the other.

In this case it's hard to tell what is happening since we only have 1 data
point, and DHCP issues can also be a side effect of hardware failure or bad
firmware updates. What Denis could do here is start a log of all
network-related issues he enounters, noting the time, failure, and solution
each time this kind of thing happens. After several months of rebooting his
router every time it does this, he would have some really juicy info that
we could use to find a pattern of failure. So if this is related to the
DHCP leases, he would probably notice that this error occurs every time the
lease for one of his devices is renewed, and would therefore repeat based
on that configuration setting.

IMO it's much more likely that his router sits in a corner accumulating
dust, and after months of 24/7 operation it got a little hot and started to
act glitchy.