[PLUG] Browser fonts for 1280x1024 monitor resolution

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:45:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> I work on HP 19" monitors with 1280x1024 resolution. I added a couple of
> LaTeX fonts to /usr/share/fonts/TTF and /usr/share/fonts/OTF and now the
> fonts in GUI applications, particularly firefox, are difficult to read
> because the letter strokes are not of the same width.
>
> Not all installed fonts are available in firefox Edit -> Preferences ->
> Fonts.
>
> I've tried searching the web for fonts that display clearly at the
> monitor's
> default resolution but my search strings find only references to web
> browsers, text and GUI.
>
> Why the display changed when new fonts were added is a puzzle to me, but
> regardless of reason I need to find a solution. All suggestions,
> recommendations, and other ideas are welcome.

Firefox is probably reading from the font cache, not the font files
themselves. If you manually copied fonts into the appropriate directory
then you probably want to run the commands to regenerate these cache files.
I think slackware does this on boot, but I don't actually remember right
now. Since firefox can't see them it's probably a cache thing and executing
the appropriate fontconfig commands will fix that.