[PLUG] FOSS friendly PDA?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Feb 12 16:43:13 UTC 2020

On 02/12/2020 09:24 AM, Michael Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 6:58 AM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:56 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've explored this issue in the past without finding something:
>>>     in current production.
>>>     meeting my non-negotiable specifications.
>>>     satisfy enough of my preferences to be a good fit to how I do things.
>>>
>>> This is a rewrite of some multiple posts to debian-user and adjusting
>>> phrasing that caused off topic responses.
>>> I post here as:
>>>     this group is not Debian specific,
>>>     it will provide a different point of view.
>>>

>>> I wish to enter/store data while away from home. The data will then be
>>> transferred to my laptop via a USB cable. [think a Palm Pilot in a
>>> smartphone physical form factor]
>>>
>>> It must use a standard Linux (Debian preferred).
>>> The manufacturer should ship with the Linux installed.
>>> Android is *UNACCEPTABLE*!
>>> It should NOT have cell connectivity.
>>> If it has WiFi, I must be able to disable it.
>>>
>>> When I looked a few years ago there were some open source hardware
>>> projects in the prototype stage but I don't recall any that reached
>>> production. [There was something similar based on Raspberry Pi which
>>> ended up too thick due to how screen was attached.]
>>>
>>> Recently I was pointed to the PinePhone.
>>>     https://www.pine64.org/pinephone
>>>     https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone
>>>

>>> https://www.pine64.org/2020/01/24/setting-the-record-straight-pinephone-misconceptions
>>>
>>> It meets my cell connectivity and WiFi requirements with a set of kill
>>> switches.
>>> https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone#Killswitch_configuration
>>>
>>> I can see practical procurement problems.
>>> The site hasn't updated to report on impact of Coronavirus.
>>> There isn't any indication of any U.S. importer - I don't want to have
>>> the hassle of handling any duties or FCC type acceptance of the included
>>> RF components.
>>>
>>> It does have a nice set of specs.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or survey articles I should read.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> I don't recall the manufacturers off the top of my head, ...
>> [snip]
>> I'm sure if you search for something like "data entry handheld
>> computer" you'll find them.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Expanding on this, in today's environment, finding something OTS from the
> factory with Linux installed may be difficult, you'd have to ask them and
> see.

That's why I said "should".
I must have implicit permission to install OS of choice without voiding
warranty etc.

> Remember, unlike John Q. Public, we know, understand, and embrace
> Linux. "Normal Consumers" likely have either not heard of Linux or are
> terrified of it. They do know Android and find it perfectly acceptable.
> Just look at the millions of smartphones running Android. I found a bunch
> of devices using Android available from folks like Zebra, Barcodes,
> Honeywell, etc. I know you don't like Android, so you will need a Linux
> distribution that will fun on an ARM system. There are a variety of
> articles on the web detailing replacing Android with Linux on ARM devices.
> That may be the only viable route for you.

ROFL. Once upon a time Staples sold a smartphone in 2 flavors --
with/without cell modem. I bought one of the later under the impression
had a real Linux and I could put what I wanted on it. I know better now.

> For the price they charge for these things and their claims of
> customization for the user, you may find an option from them that you are
> looking for. Again, it ain't gonna be cheap. But, if you want something
> very specialized like this, and are not willing to do some of the heavy
> lifting yourself, then be prepared to pay the price.

Putting Linux on a device is not heavy lifting. The manufacturer should
not only actively permit it, but document the procedure.

> As you originally posted, this group provides different points of view, and
> you will certainly get them. If they differ from what you are looking for,
> just delete and move on. No need for bashing folks for offering those
> different points of view. We are all just trying  to help.

No problem.