[PLUG] FOSS friendly PDA?

Jason Barbier jason at corrupted.io
Wed Feb 12 22:35:41 UTC 2020

> On Feb 12, 2020, at 09:22, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>
> On 02/12/2020 09:35 AM, Jason Barbier wrote:
>> I know both these miss the disable the wifi point, unless you unload
>> the kernel module but the gdp pocket and the Gemini both ship versions
>> without cellular modems.
>
> No cell modem would be the minimum. Learning to modify kernel to disable the WiFi would be valuable education.
> Are they in current production?
> Do you have current URLs? What I found dated to when they were crowd funding.
> Can I avoid Amazon and Ebay?

I will be fair I don't know if you can avoid amazon but both are in current production and the only place I know to buy them is amazon

>> As for the pinephone you have to look on the forums about 2019-nconv effects are on production but the chances are right now its none because they are only shipping in engineering sample batches, that's also why you can't find FCC info, it's not yet certified and the braveheart edition isn't a production device its a preprod engineering sample. There are also no importers of any pine64 stuff that isn't how their businesses operates right now. That said I got my pinephone, they were able to mail it straight to me, I didn't have to deal with customs at all and its a pretty nice mobile data consumption device that I can do wifi surveys with.
>
> I'm not interested in engineering prototypes. I was in engineering support in the 70's and 80's. I did testing of PDP-11s related to FCC type acceptance. I'll wait for product intended for retail customers. The pages I read didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling that they were even aware of FCC type acceptance.
They are totally aware of FCC acceptance and certification, all the people working for pine have been doing hardware stuff for a while and some of thier stuff is FCC certified. They point out because they haven't even selected what the final shipped OS will be they can't start on the FCC work. They figure that with the help of the 3 runs of dev devices there will be enough technically minded people that will be able to help square away some of the missing parts with them to present a truly open non-android device