[PLUG] HP Laserjet Problems

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 05:02:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 8:38 PM Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have an HP Laserjet 2600n printer. This unit is about 14 years old. I
> just put a new set of  HP toner cartridges in not too long ago. It has been
> printing streaks on the left side of the page and ghost images on various
> parts of the page for some time now. I thought it was related to low toner,
> as a couple were empty. The new toner cartridges helped with the crispness,
> but not the streaks. Now, everything is printing out light green instead of
> black.  The left side is kind of a darker forest green that blends to a
> kind of yellow green in the middle of the page, and back to a darker green
> on the right side of the page.
>
> For most of what I print, it's not really a big deal, but somethings really
> do matter if the colors are right.
>
> Still playing around, I just discovered it is a computer issue. My desktop
> running Linux Mint exhibits the problem, however, my Windows 10 laptop
> prints just fine (well, it still has streaks and ghosts, but the color is
> proper).
>
> Now I'm really confused. The only thing that has changed lately is my
> network router, and all IP addresses have changed. Otherwise everything has
> been the same for months.
>
> Ideas appreciated.
>
> Michael

sounds like you have multiple different problems. If the colors were off
when using linux mint, then that's a driver configuration problem.
Streaking and banding on the other hand is often due to foreign material
getting stuck inside the printer. You might have some dust on either the
feed or exit rollers  (probably the feed rollers) that deposits dust/dirt
onto the paper as it moves, creating a strip of discoloration.