[PLUG] GANDI SAS Won't do something like that

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Feb 20 20:07:47 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 02:00:58PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I wholly agree. I've used Gandi since the day we had to go through
> registrars.  Did research for all of the original registrars, chose
> them, been with them every since.

Thanks to all of you for the pointers to Gandi.  I have
begun moving all my eggs to that basket, and hope all of
you will help me watch that basket.

I was concerned that Gandi recently sold themselves:

--- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandi ---
> 2019: On 28 February, Gandi CEO Stephan Ramoin announced that private
> equity firm Montefiore Investments had acquired the company.

... so I looked into Montefiore Investments.  They appear
to be a smallish "buy and hold forever" French investment
company, with a focus on assets with multi-generation
enduring value.  I know of the breed; there are a few
quiet, non-flashy forever-investment groups in the US
who have endured for more than a century ... which is
nothing compared to some multi-century European outfits.

There is no guarantee that Montefiore will be stable
forever, but I expect them to endure longer than I do,
unlike the founding team of Gandi, who will eventually
retire or die.

The Gandi founders have made the best accomodation for
the future that I can imagine.  Perhaps there are Swiss
or Swedish investment groups that are even more stable,
but the Gandi/Montefiore deal seems based on personal
trust and careful negotiation, difficult across borders.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com