[PLUG] Big Data Surplus (Surveillance Capitalism)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 8 20:51:34 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> 'Convenience' is the amber in which the surveillence capitalists try
> to entomb us.

While true (and catchy!), this makes the decision to use Big Tech
Services an either/or. I think it's more of a risk assessment, with
shades of gray. Sometimes the convenience is worth the risks -- my
data being mined, risk of data loss or leakage, etc -- and sometimes
it's not.

I think the best way to head into this coversation is to make risk
assessment the starting point. I don't use Google for e-mail (don't
care to have all my messages scanned, however benignly, by people I
don't know) but I do use Google calendar (I can obfuscate or even omit
events I wouldn't want others to know about). Other people's data and
personal circumstances present different risks and they perhaps will
reach different conclusions.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com