[PLUG] Big Data Surplus (Surveillance Capitalism)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 9 01:13:46 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, Mike C. wrote:

> Because I've so much storage space w. Gmail, I don't have to manage my
> email.

Mike,

I understand there are other e-mail providers who don't charge for the
service, or charge a minimal amount.

Here are two hits on a ddg search for 'free email accounts':

Free email accounts | Register today at mail.com
[Search domain www.mail.com] https://www.mail.com
Email how it is supposed to be: Free, simple and secure Manage multiple mail
accounts in one place, from any device Sign up today!

Free email account sign up - ProtonMail
[Search domain protonmail.com/signup] https://protonmail.com/signup
Select Your ProtonMail Account Type. ProtonMail is a free email service for
the public good. You can help support online privacy by selecting a paid
account. Your contribution helps us support more users and continue to
develop ProtonMail as free and open source software.

I think there are a couple of protonmail users subscribed here. I don't know
how much their paid accounts are, but I've paid to support jpilot,
slackbuilds.org, and Pat V. at Slackware.

> Another big one for me is Google Drive. As far as a replacement goes, I've
> heard mention of "Own Cloud" I think, by PLUG'ers.

Yes, <https://owncloud.org>. A log of android phone users set this up so
they can store data on it. You could always get an external drive and store
your data on it.

Hope this helps,