[PLUG] /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 0 after an update

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Jan 16 08:59:52 UTC 2020

I'm using an AWS instance to relay some traffic to an onsite mail server. A
few days ago, sometime between Sunday and today, I noticed that it wasn't
actually forwarding. The AWS instance is running archlinux, and I'd updated
and rebooted recently. I scratched my head for a little while before I
figured out that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward had been set to 0 instead of
1, which was new and unexpected. Turning it back on, everything worked as
before.

I fixed it persistently by adding a file in /etc/sysctl.d/ to set
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Thanks upstream peoples!

--
Russell Senior