[PLUG] Searching with People Re: Big Data Surplus

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 06:04:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:36 PM Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Technically speaking the internet indexing
> > service, and the application used to browse the internet index are two
> > very different services.
> >

> Yes. And at least a decade ago, I used a desktop meta- search engine app. I
> liked that it retained the search results so I could go through them any
> time.
>
> Around this time, "semantic desktop search" was a thing the one of the devs
> at a News/Media search startup company in SV talked about often.

A while back I started working on some python code to use google's CSE for
search results. Mostly for giggles, but also to see if google actually
gives decent results when tracking cookies and location data are not
available. If anyone is interested, feel free to take it for a spin.
http://skaros.tech

No SSL at the moment. Queries are logged by apache (as is the default) and
there is a query cap. Billing is enabled, but Google doesn't let people
exceed a certain quota per day when doing a full internet search. I'm not
getting paid to maintain any of it, so don't be surprised if it suddenly
disappears. Feel free to fiddle with it, break it, or w/e.
-Ben