[PLUG] Xbuntu starts up in a low resolution mode

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jan 21 18:21:19 UTC 2020

On 1/21/20 9:59 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 08:41:51 -0800
> Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:
>
>> This morning I noticed my machine running slowly. I didn't learn
>> anything from top, and was thinking of restarting the box. Before I
>> got that far I received a notice from Ubuntu that there was an update
>> or some such. I ran that update. It wanted to restart the machine.
>> When the machine came back up, not only was the resolution low, but
>> only one monitor worked. (I have an nVidia card.)
> The first question is which piece of your hardware is creating the
> screen display. If you have an Intel CPU then it probably also has a
> video component, so you may not be using the nVidia card. Therefore,
> the first step is to do 'lshw -c video' which will give you the
> hardware information.

rsteff at ENU-2:~$ sudo lshw -c video
[sudo] password for rsteff:
   *-display UNCLAIMED
        product: GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
        vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
        physical id: 0
        bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
        version: a1
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
        configuration: latency=0
        resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff
memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

> <...>
>
> The lshw command should also give you the exact model number of your
> nVidia card. Once you have that, open Synaptic and search on nVidia to
> see which drivers you have loaded. It is not unheard of for Ubuntu to
> be using the wrong driver. I recently ran into a case where there were
> \textbf{three} different nVidia drivers installed, and none were the
> right one for the hardware. Synaptic should give you which nVidia cards
> each of the numerous packages supports. And finally, if all that fails,
> nvidia.com has Linux drivers that you can download as .deb or .rpm
> packages.

Synaptic shows a number of things related to nVidia 390. So that's
what's installed, but it seems it's not being used, if I interpret

A DuckDuckGo search implies that I need to disable secure boot. I'll
have a look and see if it is enabled and try that. Maybe something in
the update added something with an unsigned mumble-mumble.

I'll report back after rebooting.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens