[PLUG] Xbuntu starts up in a low resolution mode

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jan 21 20:40:41 UTC 2020

On 1/21/20 10:59 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I looked at the BIOS but couldn't find where to change the secure boot
> setting. DuckDuckGo provide many useless (to me) discussions about
> disabling secure boot, but none that actually showed how to do it.
> Most referred to the OS setting, but I don't find that on my version
> of the BIOS.
>
> Since I need to get some work done, I'm copying needed files to my
> older machine, including my T-bird profile. I'll be back online after
> that.

In the process of switching machines I need to transfer a license for my
transcription software that runs on my virtual Win 7 machine. When I
tried to start up the virtual machine I got an error message:

> Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ENU2-Win7.
>
> The virtual machine 'ENU2-Win7' has terminated unexpectedly during
> startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
>
> Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> Component: MachineWrap
> Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

 From my earlier reading I saw that this was also related to secure
boot, and not having a signed something or other.

So now I need to find out how to disable secure boot, or learn that my
research is a red herring and that the problem is something else that
probably happened during the Ubuntu update.

What do I do next?

BTW, I am on my older machine, and I have the newer machine running in
low resolution mode.

Also, the good folks at Transcription Gear unlocked my copy of Gear
Player on my older machine and I'm getting my work done. This has taken
away some of the urgency, but I'd really like to fix the newer machine.

And, I got the notice of an update on my newer machine, and I'm not
running that until I find out how to fix what it will likely do.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens