[PLUG] Xbuntu starts up in a low resolution mode

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 22 06:14:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:29:48 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>Back when I first set up the machine I ran
>
>$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
>
>Would the right thing to do be to run
>
>$ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall -f
>
>or something else? I'm running the 390 driver.
>
>I don't have similar notes for installing VirtualBox. What is the
>correct command for reinstalling that?

I'm a big fan of Synaptic package manager, mostly because of the ease
of searching. If you type 'nvidia' into the search box it will cough
up all the packages that have 'nvidia' in the package name or
description - which means it will even display the nouveau driver.

Once you have the search results click on the status button and select
'installed.' That should show all the nvidia drivers that you have
installed (just one, hopefully). Right click on it and choose
'reinstall.' Then click on the Apply button at the top of the window,
et voilà! Your driver is reinstalled.

If none of the drivers are installed, then you need to go back to the
search results and pick the right one for your card, then install it.

Once you have the nVidia driver installed I would reboot, then repeat
the exercise searching for 'virtualbox.'