[PLUG] Xbuntu starts up in a low resolution mode

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 22 06:54:33 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 22:31:02 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>On 1/21/20 10:14 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:29:48 -0800
>> Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:
>>
>>> Back when I first set up the machine I ran
>>>
>>> $ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
>>>
>>> Would the right thing to do be to run
>>>
>>> $ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall -f
>>>
>>> or something else? I'm running the 390 driver.
>>>
>>> I don't have similar notes for installing VirtualBox. What is the
>>> correct command for reinstalling that?
>> I'm a big fan of Synaptic package manager, mostly because of the ease
>> of searching. If you type 'nvidia' into the search box it will cough
>> up all the packages that have 'nvidia' in the package name or
>> description - which means it will even display the nouveau driver.
>>
>> Once you have the search results click on the status button and
>> select 'installed.' That should show all the nvidia drivers that you
>> have installed (just one, hopefully). Right click on it and choose
>> 'reinstall.'
>
>Thanks. That didn't appear to do anything.
>I still have only one monitor working, and it is running at a low
>resolution.
>
>I also get a "System program problem detected" I chose the "Report
>problem..." button. That box goes away, and it doesn't appear that
>anything happened. Is there somewhere I can look to see what the
>detected problem is? Maybe that will be a clue. Because it goes away,
>I've forgotten to mention it, but I got that notice every time I
>rebooted today.
>
>In Synaptic, the little box for nvidia-driver-390 is still green.

First, are you sure the 390 driver is the right one for your card? If I
recall correctly, when you select the driver in Synaptic there is a box
below the list of packages that gives you information about the driver.
Last time I looked it said things like 'for the G-blob series of
chips.'

As for messages, look at /var/log/messages. It's a long document, but
if you open it in Mousepad or Gedit you can do a search on things like
'nvidia' and such.

Oh, and I find it interesting that you have an Intel CPU, but lshw
didn't find the video on it. Maybe your Intel CPU doesn't come with
video.

And another thought - we seem to assume that the problem must be
software. What if the card is not properly seated? What if it's really
kaput? I had the nVidia chip on my old laptop fail after six months or
so. Do you have another video card you can stick in the machine for a
test? (Hint: Free Geek has a lot of them.)

That's all I can think of for now.